Summons the creepiness of Patrick Bateman on a shoestring budget.
Thrift store finds: black suit, red tie, Walkman tape player, plastic sunglasses
- Slick your hair back (80s Wall Street businessman style).
- Cover your suit with a bloodied, clear rain coat.
- Wear a Walkman or 80s style sunglasses and a bloody knife.
- Add a few drops of blood to your forehead.
80s Prom Queen/King
The "don't stop believing" costume!
Thrift store finds: tacky prom dress or suit, bright flats or Converse sneakers, oversized bow or scrunchy
Prom Queen costume details:
- Tease your hair and wear a large bow or wear a side ponytail with a scrunchy.
- Wear bright blue eyeshadow and pink blush.
- Wear a tiara (find this at your local dollar store) and/or sash.
Prom King costume details:
- Roll up the sleeves of your suit jacket to your elbow.
- Roll up the cuff of your pants leg and wear white socks.
- Wear a paper or plastic crown (find this at your local dollar store).
Raise someone's old dress from the dead!
Thrift store find: wedding gown
- Rub dirt on gown and add a few rips.
- Apply white paint to exposed skin.
- Draw stitches on your face with eyeliner.
- Carry a bouquet of wilted flowers.
You can easily turn this costume into a Bride of Frankenstein by streaking a section of your hair white.
Mario or Luigi
Get a one up with an awesome Mario or Luigi costume! These costumes are perfect for buddies or couples, too!
Thrift store finds: denim overalls, red or green turtleneck
- Wear a red or green turtleneck under denim overalls.
- Draw a red 3 inch "M" or a green "L" on a white piece of paper. Cut out in the shape of a circle. Affix this to a red or green cap.
- Wear black shoes and white gloves.
- Wear a fake brown mustache (unless, of course, you have your own!).
Country Club Snob
You don't have to pay any dues to pull this look off.
Thrift store finds: pastel polo shirt, khakis or a white pleated skirt, crew neck sweater, tennis racket
- Tie a sweater around your neck.
- Pop your shirt collar.
- Guys: slick your hair back. Ladies: wear a white headband or scarf in your hair.
- Carry a tennis racket or toy dog in your purse.
With the new Smurf movie, this costume is sure to be a hit! This is also great for a Smurf theme party.
Thrift store finds: sleeveless white dress/white pants white toboggan, white shoes
- Use blue body paint to create the smurf skin tone
- Wear a blonde wig to complete the Smurfette look.
- Bring a prop to be one of the characters – a wrapped present for Jokey Smurf, a hammer for Handy Smurf, wear black-rimmed glasses for Brainy Smurf
Crazy Cat Lady from the Simpsons
Crack your friends up by dressing like this beloved Simpsons character!
Thrift store finds: pink dress, pink apron, purple sweater, stuffed cat toys, slippers
- Wear a grey wig.
- Draw wrinkles with eyeliner around your eyes and the corners of your lips.
- Using safety pins, attach several stuffed toy cats to your sweater and the hem of your skirt.
Richard Simmons/Workout Guru
Nothing to sweat here. We've got this costume covered!
Thrift store finds: plain tank top, short cotton or bike/spandex shorts, white tennis shoes
- Tease hair to mimic Mr. Simmons' signature hairstyle or purchase an afro-style wig.
- Bejewel the tank top with stars and peace signs.
- Wear white socks pulled up to your shins with white tennis shoes.
Article courtesy of Chris Molnar. Chris is a writer and edits a Halloween decorations and costume website called Halloweenalliance.com, where he features decor tips, diy costume ideas, Halloween reviews and spooky stories. He's always dreaming up fun costumes, and finds second-hand shops a treasure trove of ideas, not to mention decoration props and materials!