|My "Before & After"|
Ok so I'm by no means an expert or anything. But, I'm down 102 pounds so far so I want to share some things I've learned along the way and some rules I live by. Feel free to take it or leave it, but hope it helps.
1. Diets make you fat. A diet implies it's only temporary and that at the end of the diet you will go back to all the unhealthy eating you've been doing. Don't diet. Instead, make a commitment to make healthy choices and eliminate the word diet from your vocabulary, along with all the fads like shakes, pills, crazy juice fasts, etc. None of it is good for you, and none will teach you how to do anything except yo-yo.
2. Eat Clean, Train Dirty. This means you eat only healthy real foods and when you work out, you don't half ass it! Work your butt off and push yourself to the limits and beyond.That being said, if you eat a piece of cake, or some chips, don't make that ruin your day or your week. We're all human, so if you eat something you shouldn't then get over it and get back on track immediately.
3. Processed Foods have no place in your home or in your body. If the food you eat doesn't grow in the ground, on a tree or branch, or have a face, it doesn't belong in your body. If you have food that has ingredients that you can't pronounce, don't eat it. It's not really food. It's chemicals and crap you don't need in your body.
4. Veggies are your friends. Eat at least 6-10 cups of veggies each and every day. Fresh is best but frozen is ok too as long as it's not covered in cheese or full of added sodium. Craving a crunchy snack like chips? Slice up a whole cucumber and eat that instead.
5. Healthy fats are good. Avocado, olive oil, and coconut oil are awesome. Coconut oil is really really awesome. I use it in everything I cook.
6. Artificial ANYTHING is bad. It's called artificial for a reason, it's not natural. Absolutely NO artificial sugars or sweeteners, if you use butter use REAL butter not margarine, just don't use a ton.
7. Don't drink your calories. Soda is poison, plain and simple. Diet soda is worse. The only things I ever drink are water, plain iced tea with no sugar or sweetener, or coffee (and NO COFFEE CREAMER).
8. Drink a ton of water every day. I strive for a gallon per day. Basically you just want to make sure that you're staying hydrated. Water also helps your metabolism speed up. Drink enough so your urine is clear by noon, then keep drinking. Aim for at least half your body weight in ounces. So, if you weigh 200 lbs, you need to drink 100 oz of water every day.
9. You should be working out at least 6 times a week if you want to see a good change. I strive for 6 cardio workouts and 3 weight training workouts each week. So, 9 workouts per week. I'm not perfect, so sometimes I miss a workout or two. But I always get at least 6 workouts in a week, no matter what.
10. Change your workouts often. Your body gets used to whatever routine you're doing, plus you're more likely to just ease your way through it instead of really push yourself if you're always doing the same thing. And, it's good for a mental break to try something new every now and then.
What is your favorite weight loss tip?