September 8th 2010, a friend and I made a promise to each other. We joined the gym together, work out 3 - 4 times each week and support one another the entire way. I'm happy to say that I've currently lost 9 pounds, without giving anything up. I still eat the same foods and enjoy my chocolate. It's portion control and moderation that are the keys to success!
Hershey's Moderation Nation is a national campaign that promotes moderation, provides practical tools and tips that can be used everyday. By visiting Hershey's Moderation Nation, you will have taken the first (and most important) step towards a well balanced life. It will help keep you focused and on track as well as providing you with valuable resources and tools. There's even an app for that!
Between your busy schedule and responsibilities with work, friends and family - it may be challenging to maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle, especially while on the go. However, what if you had easy-to-follow advice and resources right at your finger tips?
For on-the-go needs, the new Moderation Nation iPhone app, free and available on iTunes or via http://www.themoderationnation.com/, will reward you for the activity you´re already doing, while encouraging you to do even more in a way that suits your busy lifestyle. With an easy-to-read tracker and a comprehensive list of activities to choose from, you can earn badges for your progress and go from a Starting Gun to a Healthy Hero!
The Moderation Nation Web site (http://www.themoderationnation.com/) provides a host of new tools for you and your readers, including:
* Recipes and Expert Tips. Here you´ll find advice from Cheryl Forberg, registered dietitian (RD) for NBC's The Biggest Loser, award-winning chef and New York Times best-selling cookbook author
* Additional recipes and tips from Regina Ragone, Food Director at Family Circle magazine; Keri Glassman, author of the O2 diet; and Liz Ward, author of Expect the Best Pregnancy.
* Moderation Menus. Seven-day meal plans - with snack ideas - that will help you plan out your week. Each menu is based on an individual lifestyle, such as Single, Adults with Kids and Adults with No Kids.
* Balance the Meal. This cool balancer tool allows you to input your main dish and its preparation method; in return, you´ll receive ideas for complementary side dishes that round out the meal smartly.
* Useful Facts. Here you´ll find everything from a "portion distortion" guide - providing cues on what actual portion sizes should look like - to a grocery shopping fact sheet - to a guide on how to start and maintain a food journal.
The goal of MODERATION NATION is to help people learn about a balanced diet, appropriate portion sizes, and the benefits of regular physical activity.
Both dark and milk chocolate provide health benefits in moderation - milk chocolate is to dark as a latte is to an espresso* (Source: HERSHEY CENTER FOR HEALTH & NUTRITION)
Both dietitians and consumers agree that up to 100 calories of chocolate can be consumed daily (Source: HERSHEY CENTER FOR HEALTH & NUTRITION, 2010)
Over the past few years research has suggested that sitting for extended periods of time has a negative impact on your health.
One of Being Frugal and Making it Work's readers will win a Hershey's Moderation Nation Prize Pack that includes: a Moderation Nation t-shirt, a bag of Hershey’s chocolate and a nutrition journal with pen for tracking your daily food intake and daily activity.
How to Enter:
This giveaway will end at 11:59 EST on Friday November 12th
Disclosure: Thanks to Hershey's and MyBlogSpark for providing a Moderation Nation prize pack for review and giveaway. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.